Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

Today's post comes as a result of my husband's plea for healthier dinner options :)  Okay, so pizza isn't exactly healthy, but the wheat crust softens the blow a bit.  While rich, creamy and dreamy meals are wonderful, they don't help one's quest for a trim and fit waistline unfortunately.  Isn't that the way things always go?  If it's enjoyable, then it's usually bad for you.

I had been eyeing this recipe for this amazing pizza dough for quite some time and decided to go out on a limb and use whole wheat flour instead of bread flour.  While I do think that my decision to omit bread flour specifically did affect the outcome somewhat (bread flour has more gluten and produces a chewier texture), I would still say this pizza crust was a hit.

Below is a recipe for the dough only, and you can top your pizza any way you prefer.  I added both gruyere and sharp chedder cheese (1 1/2 C of each), caramelized onions, tomatoes, roasted chicken and artichokes. We had received this delicious artichoke dip that I used as a sauce.

I also brushed the crust with roasted garlic and olive oil before sprinkling with salt.  For the roasted garlic I simply chopped off the top of a head of garlic, poured olive oil over it, topped it with salt and pepper and then roasted it in the oven for about an hour at 425 degrees.  The taste that results is out of this world!


*A side note:  pizza dough also freezes really well.  Just let it rise and then wrap it in plastic wrap before placing it in the freezer.




Most Perfect Pizza Crust adapted from Annie's Eats
(Printable Recipe)
*Makes enough dough for 2 medium pizzas
1/2 C warm water
2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
4 C bread flour, plus more for dusting (I used whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 C water, at room temp
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil


Sprinkle yeast over 1/2 C warm water.  Make sure to use a larger cup so that there will be room for the additional water which will be added later.

King Arthur ~ one of my faves

Place flour and salt in stand mixer with a paddle attachment and mix until just combined.

Add 1 1/4 C room temperature water to the water/yeast mixture.  Slowly add this mixture to the flour mixture along with the olive oil.  All ingredients should now be combined.

Switch to dough hook and knead on low speed for approximately 5 minutes.  Place dough into slightly oiled bowl (I sprayed it with Pam).  Turn dough ball to lightly coat in oil.  Place cloth over bowl and sit in warm place to allow dough to rise.  Allow dough to rise for 1 1/2 -2 hours, or until doubled in size.

Separate dough into 2 evenly sized round balls.  If you want to freeze any dough, do so at this stage.

Cover round dough balls with damp cloth and allow to rest for 10 minutes.  Use lightly floured hands to shape dough into desired shape.  Top with desired ingredients (cheese, meat, etc).  Brush outer edge of crust with olive oil (I also brushed mine with roasted garlic).  Bake in 500 degree oven for 8-12 minutes.

Roasted garlic...pure heaven.  Just roast and then 
squeeze the roasted garlic out.

Veggies chopped and ready to go...

Melted cheese...mmmm..




2 comments:

  1. I think it looks wonderful. I have recently started using King Arthur's Flour products and so far so good. I've never made my own crust because I don't have one of the fancy schmancy mixers but I will try your recipe on hand (kneading) and see what happens. I think I will do half bread flour, half whole wheat though. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely don't need a mixer for this :) Like you said, you can certainly knead it by hand. If I had had bread flour on hand I would have done half and half as well. If you try combining flours let me know how it turns out!

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan