Thursday, March 15, 2012

Baked Oatmeal for One

I had seen the idea of baking oatmeal floating around Pinterest and wondered just how different (if at all) oatmeal would taste when it was prepared in an oven versus in a microwave.  Anything cooked the old fashioned way as opposed to being zapped tastes better, so I figured oatmeal would follow along with this same theory.

I also wanted to test this out so that I would know if preparing a big pan of oatmeal for a crowd in the oven might work.  Oatmeal is so delicious, but the thought of microwaving a bowl of it for 6 guests is not quite as appealing.

And good Lord was I right about baking this stuff.  This stuff was incredibly creamy and full of flavor.  When you microwave oatmeal it can sometimes cook unevenly.  I'm sure the added peanut butter didn't hurt either :)

The recipe below is just what I used, but you could definitely use plain oatmeal or another flavor.  You could completely omit the oatmeal or stir in some raisins.  You choose!

I realize it's a SUPER simple recipe (if you would even call it a recipe), but I still wanted to share.

Love this photo...it kind of makes me want to lick the screen.

Now that I know this works I'm going to try making a bigger batch to serve a small crowd next time.


Baked Oatmeal for One CCK Original
(Printable Recipe)
1 packet Quaker Instant Oatmeal (I used brown sugar maple)
1/2 C milk
1/4 C water
1 tsp peanut butter
*You can use more or less milk and water depending on your desired consistency of the oatmeal.  Use less water and milk for a firmer texture or more for a creamier texture.

Preheat oven to 350.

Place instant oatmeal, milk and water in oven safe dish.  I used a Juliska breakfast cup that can be found here.  Stir well.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until water and milk have been absorbed.  Remove from oven and immediately stir in peanut butter.

Serve immediately.



1 comment:

  1. Nicely done! I'm gonna try baked oatmeal soon, too because like you said - it's everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan