Thursday, March 8, 2012

White Chocolate Covered Black Cherry Oreos

Tuesday, March 6 was Oreo's 100th birthday, so in honor of the chocolate and cream sandwich cookie I thought I'd create a twist on the classic.  I've often seen Oreos dipped in chocolate or coated with peanut butter (which are amazing).

I wanted to do something a little different and loved the idea of adding in a fruit flavor.  I've seen Oreos paired with raspberries several times, so I settled on using the flavor of black cherries.


These little guys are very easy to assemble and I think the use of black cherry preserves make for a fun and tasty unexpected surprise.  Just make sure you don't keep these things around the house for too long...they're addictive!

One thing I'd like to note about this recipe is that it isn't one of those where if you're off my a smidgen it will kill the whole thing.  The ratio of preserves to powdered sugar just seemed to be what gave the fruit a firmer consistency.

And last, but not least, I wanted to point out that you might notice something different about this post....can you guess what it is??  Well, first off there is a page break and then you "read more" to get the recipe.  I think this change will make for a cleaner home page.

I've also added a printable recipe link to this post.  How annoying is it to have to drab your entire laptop into the kitchen just to recreate something?  Well, this solution takes care of that :)  I'll be working on updated all posts with this new feature, so stay tuned!

White Chocolate Covered Black Cherry Oreos CCK Original
(Printable Recipe)
15 Oreos
1 C black cherry preserves
2 C powdered sugar
2 C white chocolate chips
1 Tbsp shortening

Scoop preserves into medium bowl and soften by microwaving for 15-20 seconds.  Add powdered sugar, stir to combine and smooth.

Spoon black cherry mixture into piping bag (or a zip loc bag), seal and place in fridge for 25 minutes.  You can also place it in the freezer for a bit if you want to speed along the process.

Remove bag from fridge and snip off tip.  Distribute even dollops of cherry mixture onto tops of Oreos.  Place in freezer to set for approximately 45 minutes (otherwise the cherry mixture will melt when it hits the warm chocolate).

The more even you make the dollops
the less lumpy your oreos will be.  Try to make it
somewhat flat on top.

Place white chocolate and shortening in microwave safe bowl.  Mircrowave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth.

Carefully and quickly dip Oreos into chocolate mixture to coat.  Remove and place on parchment paper to set.

1 comment:

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan