Monday, March 5, 2012

Raspberry Brownie and Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ A Base Recipe

I don't know about you, but I eat yogurt and ice cream all through the cold months even though it's typically considered a "hot weather" treat.  This is precisely why one of the first things I registered for at Bed Bath and Beyond was a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker.  My family gave it to me as a gift at my Favorite Things shower and I have been itching to use it ever since.

This past week presented the perfect opportunity.  And by opportunity, I mean that I had some left over raspberry cream cheese brownies that I needed to get rid of before I ate every single last bite that I had left.  I also had some remaining cheesecake from a date night that Trey and I had enjoyed at The Palm in Atlanta a few days before.  Brownies and cheesecake in ice cream?  Um, yes please.


For the base of the ice cream I used a recipe from Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams.  Jeni's is based out of Ohio but ships their ice cream nation wide.  I've ordered some before and must say it's hands down the best ice cream I've ever eaten.  Ever.  I know that's a pretty heft claim, but once you take a spoonful I'm willing to bet you'll agree as well.

I simply prepared the base, processed it in the ice cream maker, and then added my raspberry cream cheese brownies and cheesecake bits.  The best thing about this recipe is that it's just a base recipe, which means you can build it whatever way you like.  Add fruit, candy, chocolate, ....the list is endless.  Personalize it and make it yours :)

Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream Base courtesy of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home
2 C milk
4 tsp cornstarch
1 1/4 C heavy cream
2/3 C sugar
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp cream cheese, softened

*I doubled this recipe in case you're wondering why my portions look so much larger in my photos.

Stir 1/4 C milk and cornstarch together in bowl.  Set slurry aside.  (Why it's called slurry I'm not sure....I'll research that one for ya.)


In 4 qt sauce pan whisk together heavy cream, sugar, corn syrup, salt and remaining milk (1 3/4 C).  Bring to boil over medium high heat.  Cook for 4 minutes.  Stir in slurry.  Continue cooking, stirring until thickened (approximately 2 minutes).


Place cream cheese in separate large bowl and pour in 1/4 C hot milk mixture from saucepan.  Whisk until combined and smooth.  Add in remaining milk mixture from saucepan and stir to combine.


Allow mixture to cool slightly.  Pour into plastic zip loc bag, seal and submerge into bowl of ice water until chilled.

Pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow instructions from manufacturer.  Pour into sealable container and place in freezer until set.

*If you want to add anything to the ice cream you need to do so AFTER you process the ice cream in the ice cream maker, but BEFORE you set it in the freezer.  Just make sure you layer it and freeze as you go.  Otherwise all of your added pieces will just float straight to the top.  i.e. Add a layer of ice cream, top with brownies, freeze completely.  Then repeat over and over.

Cutting up the raspberry cream cheese
brownies and cheesecake into bite sized pieces

Layering the ice cream and added ingredients

This is my husband's bulldog, Moe.  She was not happy
that I was keeping her up past her bedtime.  Can
you tell?? :)

Mmmmmm

Add some fresh raspberries to the dish to 
brighten the flavor





4 comments:

  1. Man I wish I had a bowl of that right now. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make one :) It's delicious and SO easy!

      Delete
  2. So excited to try this! I've wanted to try a new ice cream base and I hear Jeni's is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeni's is phenomenal! I live in Georgia and still pay to have her ice cream shipped down here just because it's that good. The cream cheese is divine :) Let me know if you end up trying it

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan