Monday, March 19, 2012

Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken

I pulled out my crock pot this past Friday for the first time since getting married.  Usually when I use a crock pot it's for things like soup, or for dips when the hubby and I entertain.  But a slow cooker is also a great way to put together a quick and easy meal.  Just put everything in it that morning, and when you come home dinner is ready!


Trey and I love both love sesame chicken and this version seemed like a great option.  The honey added a nice touch of sweetness, although I will have to say that I would add even more honey if I made it a second time.  In the recipe below I reduced the amount of soy so that the honey flavor would be more apparent.  

I served this chicken over rice, but I'm sure vegetables or noodles would be a great option as well.  Enjoy!



Honey Sesame Chicken adapted from Six Sisters' Stuff 
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts 
Salt and pepper
1 C honey
1/3 C soy sauce
1/2 C diced onion
1/4 C ketchup
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
4 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tbsp water
sesame seeds

Salt and pepper both sides of chicken.  

Combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and red pepper flakes in bowl.  Stir well.  

The sauce all ready to go

Lightly grease bottom of slow cooker.  Place seasoned chicken into bottom and top with honey mixture. Cook 3-4 hours on low or for 1 1/2- 2 1/2 hours on high, or until chicken is just done.

Remove chicken to spare plate, leaving sauce in slow cooker.  Turn slow cooker on high and add cornstarch dissolved in water and stir.  Allow to cook for 10 minutes until sauce thickens. 

*At this point if you want to serve the honey sesame chicken over rice, you can go ahead and start it.

Return chicken to slow cooker and toss to coat.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds to serve.




3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is! I love honey on pretty much anything, and this certainly didn't disappoint

      Delete
  2. Hej from Sweden !!

    Looks GREAT ! I just have to try this dish. Thanks for posting !
    Welcome to my blog: http://gullringstorpgoatsblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan