Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Quinoa Salad with Cucumbers, Tomatoes and Feta

I'm pretty sure I've already hit my whining capacity with regards to the heat this summer, but just in case you've missed my less than positive thoughts on Georgia's hot and humid summer I'll revisit the subject.  It's.flippin.HOT.  There are actually mornings where I debate whether or not to shower because I know the second I put a foot out the door my hair will have a meltdown, my makeup with smear due to the excessive oil and I'll get those nasty little sweat spots on my shirt because I'm literally baking alive.

On days like these I don't exactly want something heavy to eat.  Okay, let's rephrase that: if there's a slice of rich chocolate cake sitting there I'm going to eat it, but ideally I would be just as satisfied with something light and summery.

This quinoa salad hits the spot though.  Quinoa, being the superfood that it is, is packed with fiber and protein which means you'll feel fuller longer.  And because fresh produce is bountiful during the summer I'm sure you'll have no problem finding some locally grown cucumbers and tomatoes.  Top it off with some fresh parsley, feta cheese, and a lemon-olive oil dressing and you've got yourself a winner.  It's light, full of flavor, and because it's healthy you won't mind indulging in more than your fair share of it.

Mmm mmm good.

I'm not ashamed to say that I ate this stuff for breakfast, lunch AND dinner yesterday.  Yes, it was that good. [Insert sound of me tooting my own horn.]

FYI It's pronounced KEEN-wah.  I know I can't be the only one who spent all of last year pronouncing it KWEE-no-uh.....yikes!

Quinoa Salad with Cucumbers, Tomatoes and Feta adapted from The Perfect Pantry
Printable Version
1/2 C quinoa
1 C water
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp fresh parsley
1 C chopped tomatoes (I quartered grape tomatoes)
1 C chopped cucumber
1/2 C feta, crumbled

Cook quinoa in water according to package instruction.  Set aside to cool.  Combine lemon juice and olive oil.  Set aside.

Add cucumber, tomato, parsley and feta to quinoa.  Pour lemon-olive oil dressing over top.  Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Keep refrigerated.



If you're not already obsessed with quinoa you
will be after this dish.  Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan