Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentine's Day Blueberry Pancakes

Pancakes are another one of those foods that conjure up so many memories.  You can absolutely get pancakes at Mikcy D's and other fast food restaurants, but there's something so wonderful about standing over a griddle checking to see if the batter has turned that perfect light brown color yet so that you can flip the flap jack.  

Another one of my favorite things about pancakes is how versatile they are.  You can basically stick with the same basic pancake recipe and add anything you want.  Craving something sweet?  Add some chocolate.  Wanting to take the healthy route?  Add blueberries.

That is precisely what I did with these.  Something about adding that fruit in makes me feel slightly better about wolfing down 4 nicely sized cakes doused in confectioners sugar and syrup.  Delish!  

And of course I had to make these a bit festive since I was making them as a Valentine's Day breakfast for the hubby (our first VDay as husband/wife might I add).  I wanted to make heart shaped pancakes, but unfortunately the only heart shaped cookie cutter I had was plastic.  Normally I would lay the metal cookie cutter directly on the griddle, pour the matter into the mold, and let the pancake cook there.  But as you can imagine that wouldn't exactly work with plastic.  So I used the cookie cutter on the pancake *after* it was finished.  Not ideal, but it worked...



Todd's Famous Blueberry Pancakes adapted from AllRecipes
1 1/4 C all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp white sugar
1 egg
1 C milk
1/2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 C blueberries

In large bowl sift together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.   In separate bowl beat together egg and milk.  

Stir milk and egg into flour mixture.  Stir in butter.

Heat lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium/medium-high heat.  Depending on desired size, use approximately 1/4 C batter per pancake.  Drop blueberries into pancake batter once poured.  


*You could certainly fold the blueberries directly into the batter, but I've found that this method works best for me.

Let pancake lightly brown on the bottom and then flip.  Serve immediately.

A light dusting of powdered sugar...

Dig in!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan