Monday, July 23, 2012

Homemade Sweet Potato Chips

Last weekend the hubs and I opted to cookout at home versus heading out for dinner.  Those nights are my absolute favorite.  Don't get me wrong...I definitely enjoy eating out, especially at local restaurants, but there's just something about the smell of the grill and spending the afternoon chopping and dicing away to prep a delicious dinner that night.

Sweet potatoes were on special that particular Saturday, so we decided to try our hand at some homemade sweet potato chips.  We received a deep fryer as a wedding gift that I have been DYING to use, and this proved to be the perfect opportunity.

I pulled out my vintage mandoline slicer that I had picked up a few weeks ago at an antique store and started slicing away.  I wish I had been able to slice the chips more evenly, but for my first go at it I didn't think it was too shabby of a job.  Plus, this thing is a few decades old so it probably wasn't all my fault, right?

*Make sure you have a mandoline slicer on hand for this task.  It's practically impossibly to slice these thin enough with a knife.

These chips were so bright and vibrant in color...
loved them!

I also whipped up a Zaxby's style sauce that we used for both the chips and the burgers.  I'll post the sauce recipe on Wednesday, so make sure to check back!



Homemade Sweet Potato Chips CCK Original
Printable Version
2 large sweet potatoes, washed and sliced very thin (you could also use regular potatoes)
plenty of oil for frying


Heat oil to 350 degrees in deep fryer.  Fry chips in small batches, leaving them in the fryer until just barely golden in color, about 2 or 3 minutes.

*If you don't have a deep fryer simply fill a large skillet about halfway with oil.  Turn chips if necessary.

Remove and set aside to drain on paper towel.   Season with salt.

Nice and crunchy



Up close and personal


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan