Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Best Ever Buttercream Frosting and Funfetti Inspired Whoopie Pies

For me, funfetti is quite nostalgic.  I always think of that Pillsbury boxed cake mix that was the first choice of little girls ages 3-12 when I grew up.  Okay, okay...I still love it to this day and I'm 26.

Any time I eat anything funfetti I'm immediately thrown back to the good ole days on the playground in elementary school.  You finally make it outside with all your classmates and the first thing you do is go for your snack.  My favorites were always Dunkaroos, Fruit Roll Ups and Gushers.  Do any of those ring a bell??  I still remember when Dunkaroos came out with their funfetti inspired frosting...that was my all time fave.

Do you think they still sell those?  I think it might be time to meander on over to Kroger and take a gander at the snack aisle :)

The cookies below are my adult version of a funfetti dessert.  You could definitely just make the cookies alone, but why not sandwich a dollop of beautiful buttercream with them?  You get two cookies instead of one, and the frosting is to die for.  I seriously think it might replace my go-to cream cheese frosting that I always use.

PS Don't leave any extra frosting sitting around unless you're okay with the fact that you ARE going to eat every last bit of it.....this stuff is dangerous.

Funfetti inspired whoopie pies made with
this buttercream.

There aren't any photos of me making the frosting so I'm adding in photos of the whoopie pies I put together with this frosting.  Enjoy!
Best Ever Buttercream Frosting adapted from AllRecipes
2 C unsalted butter (4 sticks)
8 C confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 C heavy whipping cream

*Use clear versus dark vanilla extract for a whiter frosting.

In bowl of stand mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy.  Add confectioners sugar and blend until smooth.

Add salt, vanilla and 6 oz whipping cream.  Continue to blend until well incorporated.  Add additional 2 ounces of cream if frosting is too thick.

Can we pause for just a sec and talk about
how amazing this looks?

For the whoopie pies featured in these photos I simply made this Soft Almond Sugar Cookie recipe but substituted vanilla in place of the almond extra and then rolled the dough in sprinkles instead of raw sugar.  You can also add sprinkles to the dough if you want them inside the cookie.

Let the sandwiching begin!

I used a Wilton 1M tip to pipe the frosting on one cookie and then sandwiched it with another.  Happiness!

Nom nom nom [repeat until all cookies are gone]


Use this frosting for other cookies, your favorite cake, or just to 
satisfy a sugar craving on its own!

23 comments:

  1. Is simply asking him/her to hold it down more uncomfortable that having to listen to all the distracting grunting and such?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe. i should just suck it up and do such the thing. that would be too easy, right? :) sigh...i hate confrontation....

      Delete
  2. If I cut the recipe in half would it still be enough to cover a cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not unless your cake is very small and doesn't have many layers. Although this is coming from a girl who always runs out of frosting and always has to go back and make a second batch. I would rather have too much than not enough :)

      Delete
  3. They look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the frosting and when I frosted my cake the icing started thinning! I am curious why this would happen! I followed the instructions??

      Delete
    2. Bet your cake was not cooled enough.

      Delete
  4. Maybe you could just shout "HEY, DUDE. I'M GIVING YOU THE STINK EYE." and he'd get the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. how delightfully delicious & perfectly pretty! gorgeous job.
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe that person has Turette's Syndrome and can't help making those noises. I don't know, of course, but It's a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was the slightest chance of that I certainly would not have joked about such a matter. I've been around this person in a variety of settings at the gym and it's just that they love being very vocal in this class.

      The post was absolutely written jokingly and in a lighthearted manner :) I always enjoy reading personal tid bits from other bloggers and thought I would share this funny yet frustrating situation in this post.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a bite size cake! :) And an icing burger! Hahaha. I love it...best for children!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so yummy and ...well... cheerful!
    Thank you for the idea and I hope you'll like my linking back to you!
    bon weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. When he is really loud you should ask your instructor how you should be breathing through a pose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just wondering how to make the little cookie part! Hahaha, help!? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That part is my fave :) The cookies are based on the soft almond sugar cookies via the link below. I just substituted vanilla for the almond extract and then rolled the dough in sprinkles versus raw sugar

      http://codykitchenconfections.blogspot.com/2012/03/soft-almond-sugar-cookies.html

      Delete
    2. does the icing need refrigerated?

      Delete
    3. I didn't refrigerate mine, but then again they only lasted two days before they were all eaten :) They don't have to be refrigerated, but just make sure to keep the icing out of warm temps. Since it's butter based it will melt.

      Best of luck!

      Delete
    4. thank you ~~ getting ready to make this icing now. hope it doesn't matter if i'm using a reg. mixer. It is awesome! Thanks again for the recipe!

      Delete
    5. I made the icing ahead of time. We had to try it, so I put it on some Nilla wafers. YUMMY!

      Delete
    6. So glad you enjoyed it! It's my favorite :)

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan