Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Banana Sour Cream Bread

Hi there!  Can you believe I've logged 7 posts in 14 days?  Yeah, me neither.  This was my intention all along....regular, frequent posts.  However, life kind of got in the way and things didn't turn out as planned. I'm getting married in just 11 short days, so there will definitely be about a week and a half there with no posts.  However, when I get back from the honeymoon I plan on sharing all of the yummy meals I'll be whipping up for my hubby on a (hopefully) nightly basis.

Today I bring you my favorite banana sour cream bread.  I actually made this bread over a year ago, but just this morning stumbled across the photos and realized I had never blogged the recipe.  This bread is absolutely divine, with a great deal of yummy banana flavor, plenty of moistness (is that a word?) from the sour cream, and a nice crunch on top compliments of the walnuts.

The funny thing is that I absolute hate bananas.  I couldn't eat one if you tried to force me.  I think it's a texture thing though, and doesn't have as much to do with the actual taste.  Oddly enough, I love banana bread.  And hopefully you do too!


The only thing I will say is that the consistency is more like that of a cake than that of a quick bread.  Most banana bread is very dense, with so much moisture it's almost as if it's a bit wet.  But this bread is very light and fluffy.  Heavy on flavor, but still light.  If you're good with that, then this recipe will be right on the money.

Banana Sour Cream Bread
1/4 C white sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

3/4 C butter
3 C white sugar
3 eggs
6 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 (16 oz) container sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking soda
4 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 C chipped walnuts

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Grease four 7x3 inch loaf pans.  Mix first two ingredients and dust pans lightly with sugar and cinnamon mixture.

In large bowl, cream butter and 3 cups sugar.  Mix in eggs, bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon.  Mix in salt, baking soda and flour.  Stir in nuts and divide into prepared pans.

Mashing the 'naners....

At this point I also added some extra walnuts and cinnamon/sugar mixture on top.  Just for good measure :)
See the extra walnuts on top?

*Tip: To keep the nuts from sinking strait to the bottom of the bread pans, coat them lightly in flour.  Any time I add anything like chocolate chips or nuts to a recipe I always place them in a cup with a little bit of flour and toss to coat.  It solves the "sinking" problem like no other!

Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Deliciousness


3 comments:

  1. This sounds fabulous! congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could express how absolutely, positively thrilled I was to see that you had commented on my blog! To say it made my week would be a huge understatement. I have followed your blog for quite some time, and it was one of the reasons I decided to start my own. You dishes and pictures are fabulous!

      My blog has been seriously lacking this past year, and I fully intend on stepping it up. So visit back for more yummy treats :)

      Thank you again for your kind words!

      Delete
    2. *Your* dishes. Geez. So sorry for the poor grammar.

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan