Friday, May 11, 2012

Seared Scallops with Broccoli and Beans

In my quest for healthier dinners I recently decided to explore Whole Foods' website to take a gander at some of their recipes.  I've never used any of them, but I always love their hot and cold buffets, so I figured they couldn't be that bad.  I found a few recipes that looked good (chicken enchiladas anyone??), but decided to go with this dish of seared scallops just because they are simply one of my all time favorites.

I have to say that this dish was not only extremely easy to put together, but it was also out of this world delicious!  I wouldn't have thought to add beans into the mix, but they paired perfectly with the broccoli.  The only change I made from the original recipe was that I added some butter for the browning of the scallops.  Butter just makes everything taste better.  Period.



I'm thinking you could also leave out the beans and pair the broccoli and scallops with pasta if you wanted a heavier dish.  But then that would negate the healthy factor, right??  Oh yes, the whole point of this meal :)

Enjoy!  Next week I'll be blogging some a-mazing ginger and honey glazed carrots that are beyond easy, so make sure to come back and visit!

PS This recipe says it contains four servings, but I just split the whole thing in half for me and the hubby.  Unless you have the appetite of a hamster you'll realize this dish only feeds two.





Seared Scallops with Broccoli and Beans adapted from Whole Foods
Printable Version
1 lb broccoli, trimmed
3 tsp olive oil, divided
1 1/2 tsp butter
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
1 lb sea scallops, patted dry
1/2 lemon

*If your scallops are completely dry they won't brown properly :)

Heat 1 tsp oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add garlic and cook until golden, approximately 2-3 minutes.  Stir in broccoli, crushed red pepper and salt.

Chop!  Chop!

There are few things I love more than some good ole garlic.

Turn heat to low, cover pan and cook until 8-10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.  Remove lid to stir occasionally and add water a tablespoon at a time if pan becomes too dry.

Add beans to skillet and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.

What's that old saying?  Beans, beans, they're good for your heart.
The more you eat them, the more you.....??hhhmm the last part seems to 
escape me....

Transfer broccoli and beans to separate plate and cover to keep warm.

Wipe skillet if needed and then add remaining 2 tsp olive oil and butter.  Turn heat to high.

Season scallops with salt and place them into skillet to brown, flipping them once to brown both sides.  They will take approximately 2 minutes per side.

Squeeze lemon juice over scallops and remove from pan.  Add scallops to broccoli and beans.  Serve immediately.

I realize this may looks like a "light" dinner, but the protein
and fiber are quite filling.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan