Wednesday, December 5, 2012

No Fail Pecan Pie

Oh my dear!  Where to start??  First off, let me apologize for the silence.  My beloved macbook officially bit the dust last week and I've been in the process of mourning the loss.  You know the stages:  denial (pretending that my mac would somehow come back if only I plugged it into so many different outlets), bargaining (if I buy it a new screen maybe that'll do it!) and acceptance (finally realizing that my time with my first ever macbook was done....I've officially become one of those crazy Apple converts and saying goodbye to the piece of technology that was responsible for this was tough).  I got a new Macbook Pro this weekend and finally began the process of transferring photos and getting some new posts put together.  Woohoo!


Today's post is a little late due to the aforementioned issues, but I figured it is better late than never.  Pecan pie reminds be a lot of Thanksgiving, but you can also eat it year-round, which is why I decided to still do a post on it.  I mean, I would never turn a slice down.

I don't bake a lot of pies.  I love eating them, but making them really is an art.  It's not making cookie dough, rolling it into a ball and then you're good to go.  If you're not used to making your own crust it can be quite a daunting task.  Remember this terrible awful scenario from my last year's Thanksgiving pecan pie attempt?  Yeah, I'd like to forget it too.  








Because of that terrible awful experience I did a LOT of research with regards to recipes and techniques.  I absolutely love caramel pecan pie but wanted to stick with a traditional recipe since it's the kind my hubby's grandad loves so much.  I also knew I wanted something that wouldn't leave me with that dreaded watery/wet middle which can sometimes happen.  

I ended up settling on a pie crust recipe from Smitten Kitchen (hello obsession!) and a filling recipe from King Arthurs flour which had received rave reviews.  Luckily for me (and the hubby's family), this pie turned out just as I had hoped and I was actually able to bring an edible dessert to this year's get together.  [Insert loud sigh of relief}  I loved the flavor and texture of the pie crust and thought the filling had the perfect amount of richness while still keeping with the familiar flavor that everyone loves.  I definitely found my new go-to!


Today's post will only feature the filling recipe....I tried to post both the crust and filling recipe and it was WAY too long!  Check back Friday for the crust recipe and details!




Pecan Pie adapted from King Arthur Flour 
Printable Version
1/2 C chopped pecans

1 C pecan halves, roughly chopped (*these pieces should be slightly larger than those listed above)

1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/2 C dark corn syrup
1/2 C light corn syrup
1/4 C sugar
1/2 C unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 325.  

Place chopped pecans on large baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.  *I placed the 1/2 C finely chopped pecans on one side and the roughly chopped 1 C on the other to keep them separate.  Toast in oven for 10-15 minutes or just until nuts become fragrant.  Don't let them burn!  Remove nuts from oven and set aside to cool.


Increase oven temperature to 375.


In medium bowl beat together 3 eggs, both corn syrups, sugar, butter and vanilla.  Stir in 1/2 C finely chopped pecans (first ingredient).


Pour mixture into prepared pie shell.  Sprinkle/arrange 1 C roughly chopped pecans (2 ingredient) over top, ensuring they are spread evenly.  I like to barely push them to halfway submerge them in the filling so they hold their place.


Bake pie in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until middle of pie is puffed up and seems fairly set.  Remove pie to cooling rack and allow to cool completely before serving.  Center will sink back down to even level as pie cools.


Some tips:

-If you don't like the idea of chopped pecans you can arrange whole nuts on top in a pattern. I just happen to like this rustic look better and find it easier to cut and serve the pie this way.
-Some recipes call for pre-baking or blind baking the pie crust.  This keeps it crisp and non-soggy when you're making a pie that has a custard type filling.  I blind baked one pie crust and didn't with the other....surprisingly I liked the pie crust that was NOT blind baked much better.  The blind baked one was way to crisp and almost hard.  Still, to each their own.






Puppy wants a piece too!  Ellie Bear managed to sneak
into this shot while I was snapping away.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Morgan!
    I could eat this every day of my life!! However, when I make mine, which is almost the same recipe, I don't toast the pecans prior to baking. Love the addition of the half chopped cup of pecans. I don't make this pie very often ---way to caloric and the fat content is over the moon. I usually wind up eating the entire thing myself and then have a profound guilt trip! Oh! Just want to say that I do add a tablespoon of Jack Daniels to mine for a little more oomph---you know it's in there but can't figure out what the extra taste is about. Just a thought from a Brooklyn NY girl who is a Southerner last 27 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat...I rarely make it because I know I'll eat every single last bite! And I've never added Jack to mine, but I just might try next time. A little Jack never hurt anything, right?

      Delete
  2. شركة كشف تسربات المياة
    عزيزي العميل هل أنت لديك مشاكل من ارتفاع فواتير المياه، شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض

    هل لديك مشاكل في وجود تسربات مياه بجدران المنزل المطابخ والحمامات والأسقف بالمنزل؟
    شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
    تمتلك شركة نقل عفش بالرياض المزيد من المهندسين والعملاء الذين يمتلكون خبرة عالية ومتطورة في مجال خدمات نقل العفش بالرياض.
    شركة نقل عفش بالرياض

    تمتلك الشركة أحدث المعدات والأجهزة الحديثة، لتعمل على النقل من المكان المطلوب إلى المكان المحدد باستخدام أحدث الأجهزة التي تساعدنا على الحفاظ على العفش ووصولة بكل وكل هذا في أسرع وقت وأقل التكاليف الممكنة.
    خدمات الشركة
    تقدم الشركة خدمة نقل العفش بكل أمان دون أي خدوش.
    تقدم الشركة خدمة تغليف العفش، والحفاظ علية من أي ضرر.
    تقدم الشركة خدمة تخزين العفش، لكل من يبحث عن أماكن للتخزين عليك الأنصال الآن بنا.
    نقل العفش منازل السكني والتجاري و الفندقي.
    شركة رش مبيدات
    أعزائي عملائنا الكرام اليوم نوجه إليكم التوجه والعناية عند استخدام مبيدات، فمن الممكن أن تلجأ إلى شركة مختصة في هذا المجال مثل شركتنا، شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض

    التي تستخدم في الرش المواد الفعالة والتي تكون آمنة جدا وصحية ولا تضر أي أحد،وتقدم الشركة.
    رش المبيدات المنزلية.
    رش المبيدات الزراعية.
    رش مبيدات البلدية.
    شركات رش المنازل هي من ارخص أسعار رش المبيدات الحشرية مقارنة بالشركات الأخرى التي تتعامل في رش المبيدات الحشرية فشركتنا من الشركات التي تعتمد عليها فهي تمتاز بأعلى جودة وآمنة وفعالة والتي تقضي وتنهي على الحشرات نهائيا.
    شركة تسليك مجاري
    تعمل الشركة على حل مشاكل انسداد المجاري وأيضا التخلص من الرواح الكريهة.
    خدمات الشركة.
    تعمل الشركة على حل مشاكل انسداد المجاري للمنازل والفلل والشركات.
    تعكل الشركة على شفط البيارات، وتساعد الشركة على حل كل المشاكل مثل انسداد المواسير ومشاكل الصرف الصحي.
    شركة روضة الرياض للخدمات المنزلية
    عزيزي العميل إذا كنت تبحث عن شركة موثوق بها لحل كل مشاكل المنزل فأنت بحاجة إلى شركة روضة الرياض للخدمات المنزلية.
    حيث تقدم الشركة كافة الخدمات التي تحتاج إليها فإذا واجهت مشاكل تسربات بالمياه فلا يوجد أمهر من المهندسين والعمال لدي شركتنا.
    خدمات شركة روضة الرياض للخدمات المنزلية
    من أفضل الشركات المحترفة في كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض، وداعا من اليوم لمشاكل التسربات التي يعاني منها الكثيرون، فلا تقلق من اليوم.
    تعمل الشركة أيضا على حل إبادة و مكافحة الحشرات المنزلية، مثل البق والفئران الأبراص وأيضا الصراصير وغيرها الكثير.
    تساهم الشركة في حل رفع فواتير المياه والحد منها.
    تعمل الشركة على حل مشاكل الخزانات وتعمل على عزل خزانات مياه الشرب، وعزل خزانات الماء، وحل أسعار عزل الخزانات، وعزل الخزانات pdf، أفضل عزل للخزانات، فالشركة تقدم ابرز طرق عزل خزانات المياه.
    تعمل الشركة على خدمة تنظيف

    ReplyDelete
  3. شركة تنظيف
    من المعروف ان مهام التنظيف من المهام التي من الممكن ان يصعب على ربة المنزل القيام بيها فهي من المهام الشاقة التي من الممكن ان تجد ربة المنزل التعب والارهاق في عملها وقد يكون هناك الكثير من المهام التي قد لا تستطيع ان تقوم بيه بمفردها مثل تنظيف سجاد وموكيت وتنظيف الكنب من الاتربة والاوساخ العالقة بيه وأيضا تنظيف المطابخ والحمامات فهي من المهام المتعة والتي قد يشق على ربة المنزل القيام بيه بمفردها شركة تنظيف افران بالرياض
    وهنا سوف نجد ان شركة تنظيف من الشركات التي من الممكن ان يتم الاستعانة بيه خاصة انها لديها الخبرة والكفاءة وافضل عمالة واحدث المعدات والأجهزة والتي من الممكن ان تسهل عملية التنظيف على ربة المنزل

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan