Thursday, September 27, 2012

Not Your Basic Black Beans

Black beans most certainly have never been on my list of favorite foods.  It's not that I don't like them, but I'm pretty sure I've never come home, opened the pantry and thought "mmm, black beans!  Those will hit the spot!".  I've had them in my Joey Junior burrito at Moes but that's about it.

However, the other night when I needed a relevant side dish for my mango salsa topped pork chops it was the black beans that kept coming to mind.  I had been set on rice, but alas there was none in our pantry and quite frankly I was tired of having 5 cans of black beans staring me in face every time I opened the pantry door. 

But I didn't want just any black beans.  I needed something with a little bit of a kick.  Something with a bit of flair. 

After searching out several recipes online I came up with the below combo.  I know lime juice sounds like an odd ingredient to add to beans, but paired with the cilantro it does the trick.  And the cayenne pepper and chili powder really do add a kick that I liked despite the fact that I'm normally not crazy about spicy foods. 

These beans definitely have a Cuban or Mexican taste to them and would be perfect to add to those types of meals. 


Not Your Basic Black Beans CCK Original
Printable Version
16 oz can black beans
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
dash of chili powder (optional)
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro
salt to taste

In medium saucepan combine beans, onion and garlic.  Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to low and add in lime juice, cayenne pepper and chili powder (optional).  Simmer 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and add cilantro and salt to taste.

I really hated we didn't have more beans left over, thus
the less than overflowing bowl...



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan